Friday, February 10, 2012

Sharing Other Artist's Info.: The Florida Highwaymen

I've been a fan of The Florida Highwaymen art ever since discovering it back in the early 1990's. The history of this group of artists is long and at times very tragic. What once sold for nearly nothing to tourists along roadsides in Florida has now become sought after by collectors from all over the country and especially those with a Florida connection. I've read that it's estimated that 50,000 pieces may have been painted over the few decades the original group worked together. Seems like a huge number to me, but possible...I suppose. Prices for larger works or those pieces painted by a few of the more recognized artists in the group can fetch thousands of dollars. A handful of original artists are still painting today, and even their children, relatives and others are carrying on the style. My connection to this beautiful art is being originally from Florida, and having it remind me of the past. Many of the scenes they painted are found on back roads and out-of-the way locations. You won't get to see this beautiful and natural part of Florida from the beaches of Miami or from the Disney World theme park in Orlando. A few of the pieces in my collection were picked up in Florida while on vacation. Another one or two from eBay, and more recently the top picture and largest painting in this collection was found hanging in an antique mall here in Arizona.

Click link: Florida Highwaymen


Click on the pictures for a larger and better quality image.




2 comments:

  1. I have always liked these. Reminds me of lazy days in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have now found their way back to Florida and hang once again in the guest bedroom.

    ReplyDelete